Claire: Spanish at CUPHD

By Claire Pescheret

In addition to working in the community at Booker T. Washington, I also volunteer at the Champaign-Urbana Public Health Department. My job is to educate children and their families about their dental health. Each day I volunteer I set up in a corner of the playroom in the Mother and Child Care area. If the children or parents are interested, I do a teeth brushing demonstration, teach them a bit about their oral health, and distribute toothbrushes and handouts.

Seeing as this clinic serves the greater Champaign-Urbana area, as does Booker T. Washington Elementary, I have been exposed to a similar sub-set of people. Many of the patrons I speak with are Spanish speaking. In these instances I have been able to use my Spanish! This exposure has been challenging, but wonderful, as well. The parents have been so happy that I am able to relay important health information to them in their native language.

I feel that my experience at BTW has truly help prepare me to speak Spanish on a day-to-day basis, which has always been my goal in the furthering of my Spanish education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago