Monday, October 13, 2008


By Mujtaba Akhter, Span 232 student

My transportation to Champaign Central H.S. is my very own car: 2004 Toyota Corolla LE, Silver, 4Cylinders, Automatic, Power windows and doors, Cruise control, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, A/C, Driver/Passenger dual air bags, Cloth seats, and a Highway-estimated 36 mpg – quite fuel efficient if I say so myself. I get routine oil changes, swapped in new tires last year, and had the brake pads replaced this summer. I think it's always important to be able to get my community volunteering with reliability. I wouldn't want my car to break down in the 2-mile drive to the high school. However, if God would like to invoke his wrath upon me, I do have the MTD buses to transport me to and from the high school. I am not such a fan of the bus system on campus, so I would rather walk, but hopefully I won't have to deal with such a situation.

I volunteer during the same time slot as another student in my Spanish232 course on Tuesdays, so she catches a ride with me once a week. There are no meters near Champaign Central, so I can park on whichever street without having to worry about paying a quarter for every 15 minutes. It is nice to get off campus for a little bit of time, because it's interesting to see that there is a community outside of the university. Many of us hail from the Chicagoland suburbs and only think Champaign-Urbana consists of the University of Illinois. It's satisfying to know that I can help out the real community that lives here not just during the school year or just during the four year time span we spend in college. I hope more students at the University of Illinois come to realize that there is a community outside of the college environment and they come to see that they can help it in several manners.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your transportation from campus to the community. Transportation is actually a very big issue for our students as well as community members. Sometimes all people have is the MTD, which is a good system but has its limits.
    I'm glad you make it to Central to help out.
    Thanks for blogging and for adding such great pictures. :)