Transportation

By Mujtaba Akhter, Span 232 student

My transportation to Champaign Central H.S. is my very own car: 2004 Toyota Corolla LE, Silver, 4Cylinders, Automatic, Power windows and doors, Cruise control, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, A/C, Driver/Passenger dual air bags, Cloth seats, and a Highway-estimated 36 mpg – quite fuel efficient if I say so myself. I get routine oil changes, swapped in new tires last year, and had the brake pads replaced this summer. I think it's always important to be able to get my community volunteering with reliability. I wouldn't want my car to break down in the 2-mile drive to the high school. However, if God would like to invoke his wrath upon me, I do have the MTD buses to transport me to and from the high school. I am not such a fan of the bus system on campus, so I would rather walk, but hopefully I won't have to deal with such a situation.

I volunteer during the same time slot as another student in my Spanish232 course on Tuesdays, so she catches a ride with me once a week. There are no meters near Champaign Central, so I can park on whichever street without having to worry about paying a quarter for every 15 minutes. It is nice to get off campus for a little bit of time, because it's interesting to see that there is a community outside of the university. Many of us hail from the Chicagoland suburbs and only think Champaign-Urbana consists of the University of Illinois. It's satisfying to know that I can help out the real community that lives here not just during the school year or just during the four year time span we spend in college. I hope more students at the University of Illinois come to realize that there is a community outside of the college environment and they come to see that they can help it in several manners.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing about your transportation from campus to the community. Transportation is actually a very big issue for our students as well as community members. Sometimes all people have is the MTD, which is a good system but has its limits.
    I'm glad you make it to Central to help out.
    Thanks for blogging and for adding such great pictures. :)
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago