A busy week!

By Claire Pescheret, Span 232 student

Finally getting around to blogging…what a stressful week!! I am sorry I have not updated sooner, but there has been a lot going on in my life recently. The craziness began last weekend in celebration of my 21st birthday with friends from school, friends from home, as well as my family. It was lovely to see and be surrounded by people who cared about me so much. I, then, was welcomed back to school on Sunday with the absolute joy of studying for Physiology and Biochemistry exams. Let’s just say the library started to feel like home after day three… I survived, though, which is a feat in and of itself!

As a result of my diligent preparation of these exams, I did not get to volunteer earlier in the week. I finally began today, though!! It was amazing! I volunteered with Ms. Madrigal in her pre-k classroom at Booker T. Washington Elementary School. The students are all of Spanish speaking decent, hence the class is taught in 90% Spanish and 10% English. This atmosphere was a bit shocking to me. For some reason, my expectation was a group of fluent English and Spanish speaking children, who spoke both languages interchangeably. Instead, the classroom setting is a place to for these children to learn English. They are mostly fluent in Spanish, and it is obvious that it is the primary language spoken in their homes. I am excited at the change from my expectations! As I can help the children with their English, they can help me speak Spanish more fluently.

Comments

  1. Me encanta la foto, Claire. Demuestra de verdad todo lo que tienes que hacer y por que has estado tan ocupada. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago