Liz: Share Your Stories about How Community Members Arrive


Over spring break I went to see the movie La misma luna (The English title is Under The Same Moon). I recommend it to all of you! It was very interesting and I have been thinking about it this week in Spanish 232 since we have been talking about people’s stories and how they immigrated to the United States. It definitely makes me realize that I have no idea what it’s like to have to do something like that. To have to leave all of your friends and family behind so that you can move to a place that is very different and overwhelming in hopes of a better life. Although, I do think that this movie was a bit unrealistic at times. It would be very difficult for a nine year old boy with out any money to cross the border and make it all the way to Los Angeles. Even thought the movie is a bit idealistic, I think that the story is still interesting. I am really curious to see if anyone has any stories they have heard from people in the community. I know the students I work with at Central High School come from many different backgrounds. One of the students in the ESL class is actually an exchange student so she is living with a host family here and has a student visa. I’m sure her experience is completely different than the other students who came to the US on their own. If any one has heard an interesting story about how the people we work with in the community came to Champaign-Urbana, I would love to hear it! Please post a reply! Thanks and I hope you all enjoy the Latin American Film Festival this weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago