Chris: Final Reflections on Spanish Community Service Learning, Blogging and Honors Credit


This James Scholar project is much better than the other ones that I have completed. I usually write a research paper about a topic that is not very interesting. Writing papers becomes boring after a while, and therefore this project is a breath of fresh air. This project is not too much work and it requires constant attention, rather than a research project that is usually put off until the end of the semester. This project also allows the student to reflect on his or her experiences in the community, and such reflection is very useful. I know that I have learned more about the Hispanic community in Champaign-Urbana as a result of writing these blog posts. I have tried to convey the actual experience of Spanish 232 to the readers of this blog. I think that if students read this blog and are able to see that Spanish 232 is fun and helpful, the program will expand. I would continue to assign this project to students because it helps them to learn more about the community and it is a fun way to get honors credit. Additionally, I think that it will be interesting to compare the blog posts of students in Spanish 232 throughout the years- perhaps the behavior of students in the community will change over time. One of my favorite posts was when we were asked to give our opinions on the increased usage of social networking media in Spanish 232- I think that the future James Scholar students will enjoy answering opinion-type questions such as this one in the future. All in all, this is definitely one of the most innovative and helpful James Scholar projects that I have been allowed to complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago