Liz: Transportation and Community-based Learning


Today’s topic: transportation! Here we have a picture of my friend Katie’s car. Every Monday, Katie, my friend Pedro and I carpool to Central High School to work with the ESL class. I love carpooling with them! All three of us studied abroad in Ecuador last semester and it’s nice to have a few minutes to catch up with each other on the way to our community partner. I also volunteer at Central High School on a day when Katie has to work. So, I am going to see if we can work out a second carpool for the students that go to Central on Wednesdays. If not, there are several different MTD busses that run out to the high school that I could take. I know some students have expressed concern about getting transportation to their community partner, but it really isn’t too much of an issue. Most of the students I have talked to are very willing to carpool, especially now in the cooler weather. And if there are no other students volunteering in the same time slot, there shouldn’t be a problem because we have such a great public transportation system here in Champaign-Urbana. It may seem out of the way to go to your community partner, but in the end it’s worth the effort for the experience and the interaction with members of the community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago