Student Spotlight: Brianna Anderson

by Ann Abbott

What a difference a few years makes! I want to share these two emails from the same alum so that current students can see that it's very normal for careers to follow winding paths.

Focus on finding your first job. Then keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities to move forward in your career.

December 2013
Hola Senora! 

Just wanted to send you a quick note and see how everything is going with you.  Things with me are going great!  I am working at a prevention-based non-profit called Dream, Inc. in Jackson, MS.  Our organization focuses on the issues youth encounter.  I work specifically with clubs (mostly SADD Chapters) across the state to incorporate highway safety activities into their schools.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much of an opportunity to use my Spanish recently and am afraid I've gotten a bit rusty!  Grad school is also going well--I just completed my first semester in a Child and Family Studies program at Southern Mississippi and am really enjoying it! 
Anyways, just wanted to say hello and happy holidays!  Hope everything is going well!

-Brianna Anderson

April 2016
Hola!
I wanted to give you a quick update on my search for PhD programs--I am finally done with visits!

I ended up receiving offers from UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, University of Illinois, and Clemson.

I really liked the human rights/international focus of the program at Clemson, but [she decided on Illinois in the end].
So...I am happy to say that I will be returning to Illinois this fall!  Thank you so much for your help in the application process!
-Brianna 

I told Brianna I wanted to get together for coffee when she is back in Illinois and asked her if I could share her story on my blog. This is what she said:

I will be back in C-U! I plan on moving up some time this summer after I wrap things up in Tennessee--my husband is starting with a company in Danville in May. I will be sure to reach out to you when I get settled in! I have no problem with you sharing this in your blog. If it wasn't for your class, I would not be on this career path :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago