by Ann Abbott
In case you haven't taken a look at them yet, here is a preview of the topics covered in the videos from Comunidades: Más allá del aula.
- Required community service in Mexican high school and university education.
- Examples of culture shock experienced by a Central American upon arriving in North America.
- The realities of requesting legal work status in the US.
- A Central American business woman’s professional practices in Latin America and the US.
- Oral histories and role of personal story-telling in the recovery process of Hurricane Mitch.
- Specific examples of what an Argentine, Bolivian and Mexican would like US Spanish students to learn about Latin America and their own countries.
- Current events: the 2009 Honduran coups.
- An instructor's perspective on students' learning--and challenges--in Spanish community service learning.