Student Spotlight: Nancy Parman

by Ann Abbott

    Nancy Parman was the kind of student I wish I would have been: smart, fun, socially-aware, involved and artistic. Here are some of the things Nancy did as a U of I undergrad:
Nancy wrote to me yesterday:

"Hi, Profesor Abbott! Que tal? The last time I wrote you you sent me some links to Ashoka and Kiva stuff, which I looked at and it's super interesting. Currently I am editing some video footage for Ashoka's website as a volunteer thing. It's so interesting to hear about the new and different ways people are using to fight global poverty. The video I'm editing is about distributing rural technologies."

I was blown away. She's volunteering for Ashoka! It's such a great organization.

But what I am particularly struck by is the concept of virtual volunteering. This is something that I want to emphasize in my grant proposal for social media and Spanish community service learning. As I see it, virtual volunteering can enhance Spanish community service learning in at least the following ways:
  • Students who need to make up hours can find an on-line project and complete it however it best fits into their own schedule--even at midnight, or on the weekend.
  • Some tasks that our community partners need, like translations, can perhaps be best accomplished through a community editing effort.
  • It can complement the face-to-face service projects they do locally, allowing them to form an idea of the the "global Hispanic community."
  • Students who want to continue to engage with the Latino/Hispanic communities can do so after their course is over.
  • It can engage students with limited mobility or other disabilities.
  • Students can bring their language skills to agencies and organizations that are beyond the immediate Champaign-Urbana area.

So, I will be very interested to follow up with Nancy about her experience working on videos for Ashoka. She's a model of what we can do when we combine social entrepreneurship, Spanish community service learning and social media.

Good luck with all your projects, Nancy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago