I'm looking forward to the 2014 CIBER Business Languages Conference hosted by Brigham Young University at Park City, Utah. I will be giving the Spanish workshop, and a talk with Deb Reisinger (Duke) about social entrepreneurship.
Putting together Your Business Spanish Course
Getting to know each other.
Why teach Business Spanish?
Choosing your book: Éxito comercial; Entre socios; books from Spain and Latin America; trade books
Selecting elements of your book:
- Choose chapters.
- Choose chapter elements.
- Incorporate your own passions and experiences into your course.
- Language Case Studies from University of Colorado CIBER
- eHandbook on Teaching with Business Cases from George Washington University CIBER
- Students as facilitators of los minicasos prácticos
- Student presentations.
- Student business plans.
- Business letters.
- Collaborative content curation.
- Evaluating your course/program:
Gathering Resources for your Business Spanish Course
People in the field.
Professional development opportunities.
- Annual Spanish Language FDIB in Spain. Contact Maida Watson.
- Global Business Languages.
- Special issue of Modern Languages Journal.
- Special issue of Cuadernos de ALDEUU.
- Scholarship and Teaching on Languages for Specific Purposes
- CIBER Business Languages Conference
- LSP 2014 and LSP 2012.
- ACTFL and AATSP. Create panels, individual sessions.
Going Beyond the Basics in your Business Spanish Course
Community service learning
- Comunidades: Más allá del aula
- Comunidades: Companion website, some videos are pertinent to Business Spanish classes.
- Segmenting your market in ways that actually matter.