How Students Can Choose the Textbook Chapters They Want to Cover in a Semester

by Ann Abbott

I´m teaching Business Spanish this semester, and it feels like I'm teaching two different courses in one. First, all my students are working in teams as social media marketing consultants for a real-life client. Secondly, I still want to cover some of the fundamentals of a traditional Business Spanish course.


Exito comercial is the go-to book for any Business Spanish course. But it's a monster! There is so much content, that even if you are not also teaching social media marketing (was I crazy?), you would still need to be selective about the content that you cover in one semester.

I asked students to select the chapters that they want to cover, following the set of activities in the pictures below. If you'd like a pdf of the lesson plan, just e-mail me (arabbott@illinois.edu), and I will send it to you.

Tally results below the pictures.


Top 4 chapters
12. LA ENTRADA EN EL MERCADO INTERNACIONAL: LOS PAISES HISANOPARLANTES
6. LA OFICINA.
9. MARKETING I: MERCADOS Y PUBLICIDAD. 
14. LAS PERSPECTIVAS PARA EL FUTURO.
Bottom 4 chapters ("La empresa" received the fewest votes of all.)
4. LA BANCA Y LA CONTABILDAD.
8. BIENES Y SERVICIOS.
10. MARKETING II: COMPRAVENTA, TRANSPORTE Y ALMACENAJE 
2. LA EMPRESA.

You might have different results with your students, but I found this very interesting. It gives us insight into what interests and does not interest students. I would not have predicted these results. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago