One Day Without Shoes

Today, Katie Selby made me think about shoes in the developing world.
by Ann Abbott


This morning, one of my "Spanish in the Community" students was barefoot. I noticed, but I saw her shoes nearby and thought her shoes must have been bothering her.

This afternoon, one of my "Spanish and Social Entrepreneurship" students was barefoot.

I couldn't help but put two and two together this time. I asked my student, Katie Selby, why she was barefoot, and she told me she was participating in TOMS Shoes' "One Day without Shoes."

My students brought TOMS Shoes to my attention this year as an example of a social enterprise. Now Katie has really gotten my attention about this organization. I will look into and see how I can integrate it into my teaching.

I like how TOMS Shoes have used Flickr as part of their social media marketing of this event. What could be an equally visible and striking symbol of Spanish CSL? Of immigration reform?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago