I Am Thankful for a Pedagogy that Focuses on Social Justice: Spanish Community Service Learning

Gracias
I am grateful to do my teaching within the pedagogy of community service learning because it allows me to teach Spanish as something that is alive, that is part of our community, that is a tool for achieving social justice for all.
by Ann Abbott

On this Thanksgiving Day I would like to say thank you to:

  • My students. They are dedicated, intelligent caring students who work 28 hours each semester with the community partner, learning and helping as much as they can.
  • Our local Latino community. They add diversity and cultural richness to Champaign and Urbana, and despite the many challenges they face (racism, xenophobia, language barriers, and more) they have created a strong community with many riches.
  • My CSL colleagues across the US. We are researching and publishing more than ever. There are more of us than ever. We are changing the nature of what "Spanish" means within a "foreign language" curriculum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago