Illegal: Reflections of an Undocumented Immigrant

Click on the picture to read the full description and order.
by Ann Abbott

My friend Prof. Carina Olaru shared on Facebook that she is bringing the author of Illegal: Reflections of an Undocumented Immigrant to her campus of Monmouth College.

I had never heard of this book before, even though its is from my university's press. I'm glad I know about it now, and I just ordered it. I'll write more about it when I read it.

I love the book's tagline: 
The valiant memoir of a man living the "good" life--illegally

With all the talk on my campus these days about "civility" and never "devaluing" anyone or anyone's viewpoints (what does that mean?), it is refreshing to see Carina tackle an issue that can be very emotional and divisive: undocumented immigrants in the US. Here is how Carina put it: 
Bringing a person to campus to talk about undocumented immigrants, I hope, will start a necessary dialogue between students, staff and faculty who have various views. My hope is that this person will be received well by my institution of higher learning and that we are willing to exchange ideas. 
I'll share more about the book after I receive it and read it.

Good luck with your event, Carina! I hope it is a wonderful and challenging experience for all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago