Spanish Service Learning and the MLA Job Market

by Ann Abbott

A graduate student just returned from the MLA convention and sent me this note:

I just got back from the MLA and wanted to let you know that out of the 9 interviews I've had over the past month, six of them asked specifically about my experiences with service learning, often at length (including both research 1 schools). I think this is a really encouraging sign, not only in terms of my possibilities for getting a job and teaching service learning courses in the future, but also that a lot of schools are looking to incorporate service learning into their curriculum. Thank you for your mentorship in this area!
I firmly believe that our graduate students deserve at least one course on the scholarship of engagement and languages for specific purposes.

What are your thoughts about graduate students, Spanish community service learning, graduate education, and the job market?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago