Student Spotlight: Liz (Girten) White

Liz (Girten) White, when she graduated from UIUC.
by Ann Abbott

I say it over and over again: Spanish community service learning courses provide students with unique opportunities to develop valuable professional skills.

But when former students say it, I think current students really listen.

So, listen to what one of my fabulous former students, Liz Girten White, has to say about it.

"I reached out to you a few months ago letting you know that I was looking for a new job and I just wanted to let you know that as of November 28th I have been the new HR Generalist at creative werks! It is a candy manufacturing company in the Chicago suburbs. I love my new job and the best part is, I get to use my Spanish on a daily basis. I have been in charge of payroll audits and analysis, benefit updates and distribution, and recruiting. My bilingual skills have been a big help since we have such an international staff, with most of our employees coming from Spanish speaking countries. I wanted to message you first of all to say thank you so very much for all your help! I also wanted to encourage all your current students, because I know that the job market is very competitive right now. The ability to communicate in Spanish, along with the volunteer work I have done over the years, gave me a huge advantage in my job search. Your classes gave me the skills I needed to successfully land a new job, even though it was in a field outside of my degree. I hope this letter finds you well! I am sure you are busy getting ready for the new semester, but I wanted to update you and share the good news."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago