Student Reflection: April Nwatah

by April Nwatah



This semester I will be volunteering with the ministry of Salt and Light. This ministry provides many services to the Urbana-Champaign community, including food and clothes distribution. From what I’ve heard, this is the first time that Spanish 232 is working with Salt and Light, so I am excited to be a pioneer in this project!

From what I have been told, there are many Spanish-speaking immigrants who come to Salt and Light, yet none of the staff speak Spanish. Therefore, my help will make an impact on their ministry. That feels really good to know (=

In terms of what I will be doing, my responsibilities will be pretty open-ended. I anticipate the need to translate documents and signs as needed. I also anticipate the need to be a bridge between the Spanish-speaking customers and the other volunteers and staff. Because my responsibilities are so open-ended, I acknowledge the fact that I will need to create a lot of my own opportunities to speak Spanish. I am excited about taking this initiative! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago