Student Spotlight: Bridget Dougherty

by Ann Abbott


I know that many of my students dream about working in another country and travelling the world.  Bridget Dougherty is a role model for all of them.

Bridget was my student in "Spanish in the Community" in 2005, and she did her community service learning work at the Refugee Center (ECIRMAC).  I also remember doing a classroom visit to a TA-taught "Business Spanish" course and seeing Bridget very engaged in that class, too.

Bridget recently e-mailed me to ask for some information for her applications to an MBA program, and I was delighted to see that she was working for a not-for-profit in Hanoi, Vietnam.  Here is the information she shared with me:

"The non-profit is Prosperity Initiative. Check out the website for more information. It is s small organisation that has been around for about 3 years.

"I came here in October 2009 working as a consultant for Accenture through Accenture's Development Partnerships which sends consultants to international development organisations at a reduced rate. I worked directly for the COO to implement operations related initiatives.
 
"In April they offered me a Job as the Executive Operations Manager - so I decided to leave Accenture after being there for 3 years to come to Prosperity Initiative in a full time position. But as you know, I plan on going back to school in Fall 2011 to pursue an MBA! I would love to work and use my Spanish speaking skills (as I feel like they are fading) so hopefully I can work in a Spanish-speaking country for my next job!"

Although Bridget forged her own path through her intelligence, hard work and talents, I'd just like to point out that her work at ECIRMAC surely brought her into contact with many people from Vietnam, where she now lives, because they are a large component of the Refugee Center's clientele and staff.

You never know how your Spanish community service-learning work may influence your career path, now or in the future.

Congratulations to Bridget for her wonderful work, and good luck in the future!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago