Student Reflection

by Lydia Fleming


Throughout the course of this semester there have been a lot of changes. One could say these changes have been beneficial for them, while other could say they have been detrimental. Honestly, I do not know where I stand when it comes down to whether or not the current global pandemic has had a greatly positive or negative impact on my life. Since the COVID-19, my life has changed pretty drastically. I have gone from living with my three roommates in Champaign to living alone in Champaign. I have gone from going to class in person every day to somehow managing the new workload remotely. The campus has gone from vastly populated to nearly deserted. On the other hand, I have gone from being a couch potato after class to making time for a daily workout routine. I have switched my junk food habits to Whole30 habits. My skin can breathe without makeup, my hair can grow without heat, my eyes can rest without contacts. My relationship with my mom has grown and most importantly I have grown.

Thinking about how this has affected me has interested me into finding out about other individuals experiences during this time. Luckily, for Spanish in the Community we have resource to online podcasts. During this time, I have been listening to quite a few different podcasts to keep up with my hours and my interests. While listening to a couple, I realized how differently people are being affected by this pandemic in different parts of the world. I think it is very interesting to hear their points of view and input on the matter at hand. Listening to them brings me out of my own shell and makes me realize this isn’t just a community problem, this is a world problem.

After listening to different podcasts, I was mainly interested in their efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19. I wanted to see how other cities and countries were handling the situation compared to ours. Currently I am in Champaign. When I go to the stores it doesn’t seem real until I get to the toilet paper and paper towel aisles. The country’s panic is seen in these aisles. When I am at home in Chicago, I see everyone wearing masks while I drive around in my car. The streets are clear and stuffed toy bears are in everyone’s windows. People are subject to stay at home order and the front lines are risking their lives every day. However, the stay at home order is almost a joke to most. Sadly, many people have disobeyed orders and there have been no consequences. My question is, how are other countries handling this matter?

In some of the podcasts I listened to them explain that there is a stay at home order and to leave only in case of emergency or to buy necessities. This sounded similar to ours, but I wanted to hear from someone personally. Luckily, I have a friend in Spain right now. After talking to him I noticed how differently our cities were treating the virus. Where he was staying there was a very strict stay at home order. He explained that security and guards were patrolling the streets. When leaving his apartment, he was questioned, “What is your reason for leaving your establishment?” Frightening. That’s how he explains his experience there right now. However, he is grateful for the strict rules and guidelines. I believe these guidelines are rather appropriate because without consequences many people will not follow rules.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago