Student Reflection

by Lydia Fleming


Today was a little more rowdy than usual at the International Prep Academy. I do not know if it was because I came after lunch and right before recess or if it was because it was close to the weekend. When I arrived in the classroom all the children were not following their teachers’ instructions and she struggled to get all the children to sit in their correct spots. Finally, the children listened after she raised her voice and told them she was not proud of their actions. However, five minutes later two of the students began misbehaving again. The teacher encouraged all the other students to stay focused and to not pay attention to the disruptive behavior.

This is when the teacher had me step in and take on of the students to her desk and ask her why she was acting this way. Sadly, I did not receive the response I wanted. The student became disrespectful and the teacher had to instruct her to sit and think about her actions. After the teacher finished her lesson the students were allowed 5 minutes of free time for a brain break. The student who was pulled aside was allowed to have a brain break too as long as she behaved and treated other students nicely.

During brain break the teacher typically puts on an educational song and all the children sing and dance along. Today she put on the song, but as I said before everyone was a little more energetic than usual. The students kept coming up to me and showing me their TikTok dances they had just learned at home and kept asking me if I knew how to “renegade”. I encouraged them to follow along to the song, but it was free time, so they were allowed to do activities they wanted to do. After the five minutes were up, I had just been taught five different TikTok dances.

I believe brain breaks are very useful and great for students at their age (7 & 8) because they have so much energy and need to release some of this energy in order to stay focused during class. However, sometimes brain breaks have the opposite result and instead of releasing the energy they just built up more and are not ready to learn again. This was the case that day and there must have been some words exchanged between the two students I had mentioned who were misbehaving earlier. I say this because once the teacher left the room and the students were working on an activity a fight broke out between these two students. I was alarmed and so were some of the other students. As fast as I could, I got between the two girls and pulled them apart. I had never been in a situation like this before, so I did what I thought was best. I instructed the two students to sit on opposite sides of the room from each other.

Once the teacher got back into the classroom the students did it again and someone from administration was called down to the room. Both girls were taken out of the classroom and I was left in awe of what had just happened. The teacher apologized and explained how she has never seen them act like that before. After this day volunteering, I realized there can be good days and bad days. Individually there could have been something going on at home for one of the students or I may have missed an interaction during brain break. It is important to know how to deal with unexpected situation and to help as best as possible. I think if a situation similar to this would happen again, I would know how to handle it. Overall, I am happy no one was badly hurt and that I was able to help.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary for Parent-Teacher Conferences

How to Correctly File Hispanic Names

Interview with Jessica Horn of ACCIÓN Chicago